I always love to connect two worlds together. Helping others see a goal in a different light or showing them a different path to achieve something.
Here are some lessons for young designers for young Artist to always remember and my breakdown and version of these rules. If you are not an artist take it and morph it to your profession and try to apply them to your own life. Here is John Jays’s 10 lessons for young designers.
- “Be authentic. The most powerful asset you have is your individuality, what makes you unique. It’s time to stop listening to others on what you should do.” — Do not let anyone tell you what you should do as an artist. You take your own path, slighlty counter intuitive because these are rules that are giving you advice. But take what people say and make an intellectual decision on every piece of advice that affects you and your profession.
- “Work harder than anyone else and you will always benefit from the effort” — THIS IS THE KEY, let the work ethic be your number 1 feature. Even if you think it goes unnoticed it does not.
- “Get off the computer and connect with real people and culture. Life is visceral.” — Networking is key, go out and make face to face connections. These connections will be stronger than any e-mail or tweet ever will.
- “Constantly improve your craft. Make things with your hands. Innovation in thinking is not enough.” — You always hear “Practice makes perfect” well in this field they mean it. Dont compare yourself to someone that has put in 5,000+ hours of practice and get frustrated. They took the same trials and tribulations to get to that point, the path is a long one expect to practice. Thinkin is only the first step, apply it and dosomething.
- “Travel as much as you can. It is humbling and inspiring experience to learn just how much you dont know.” — This is a personal goal and I plan on pursuing this more. But from the traveling that I have done, it has given me so much perspective and I have become less of a judgemental person and more of an understanding person. Traveling has helped me process the details in life some would skip over.
- “Being original is still king, especially in the tech-driven, group-grope world.” — This is one of the rules that I disagree on. Being original is still possible but hair pulling to achieve, I suggest just being creative. Almost everything has been done before, just be creative and put your own twist on thigs that have been done before.
- “Try not to work for stupid people or you’ll soon become one of them” — 50 Cent said one time and this is something that I live by “you only get as far as the people you spend your free time talking to” avoid the stupid and associate yourself wih positive people that are doing good!
- “Instinct and intuition are all-powerful. Learn to trust them.” —Trust yourself simple as that. If you feel its wrong do not do it.
- “The golden rule actually works. Do good.” — We all know this one “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you”
- “If all else fails, No. 2 is the greatest competitive advantage of any career.” — No one can stop you but yourself. Work hard an you will see the fruits of your labor!